Red Jacket Fire Station, photo submitted 1976. Red Jacket Fire Station, photo submitted 1976.
Click above images to enlarge

Red Jacket Fire Station
325 Sixth Street, Calumet - Houghton County
Other Names Calumet Fire Station
Property Type fire station
Historic Use GOVERNMENT
Current Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/industrial storage
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder C. K. Shand
Narrative Description The Red Jacket Fire Station is a rectangular, two-story Richardsonian Romanesque building measuring fifty-four-feet wide by eighty-three-and-one-half-feet long, with walls of red Jacobsville sandstone. The building is topped by a flat roof. A stepped gable rises above the center of the broad facade, and a smaller triangular gable at one end is balanced by an open, square-plan, pyramid-roof bell tower at the other. Arched pedestrian exits flank three large, arched, fire engine exits on the first story. Inside, the first floor and basement formerly housed horses and fire fighting apparatus and the upper floor housed the fire fighters.
Statement of Significance The Red Jacket Fire Station is significant for its well-preserved architecture as well as its functional importance to the town. The threat of fire was constant in this large (at that time) mining town, and the fire station was designed to aesthetically reflect is functional importance. The station was completed in 1899 by plans from architect C. K. Shand for the city of Red Jacket (now Calumet). Although the fire department moved to the town hall building in 1964, the station maintains an important place in community life.
Period of Significance 1899-1964
Significant Date(s) 1899, 1964
Registry Type(s) 11/05/1974 National Register listed
04/23/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P23289