Quincy Mine Number 2 Shaft Hoist House, photo taken 1969
Click above images to enlarge

Quincy Mine No. 2 Shaft Hoist House
Off US-41, Hancock vicinity - Houghton County
Property Type copper mine
museum
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/museum
Style Other
Significant Person Bruno V. Nordberg
Narrative Description The Quincy Mine No. 2 Shaft Hoist House is a rectangular plan, reinforced concrete building measuring seventy-two feet long by seventy-six feet wide. The walls are brick and the concrete roof was originally covered with green glazed tile. The huge rectangular hoist inside measures sixty feet by fifty-four feet and weighs 1,765,000 pounds. It is powered by four Corliss cylinders and could pull a skip loaded with 20,000 pounds of rock at a rate of 36.4 miles per hour.
Statement of Significance Copper mining was one of the most important activities of the Keweenaw Peninsula. It accounted for the original settlement of the area and was the dominant economic force until the mid-twentieth century. The Quincy Mine was one of the first copper mines in Michigan and housed the Nordberg hoist, invented by Bruno V. Nordberg, the largest cross-compound steam hoist in the world. His invention marked a significant technical advancement in copper mining. Completed in 1920, the hoist operated until the mine closed in 1931. Organized on March 30, 1848, the Quincy Mining Company was organized to exploit the recently discovered Portage Lake copper formations. Restored in 1968, the building and hoist are open to the public as a tribute to the importance of the copper mining industry to upper Michigan.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1848, 1931
Registry Type(s) 02/16/1970 National Register listed
12/12/1969 State Register listed
Site ID# P23278