Calumet and Hecla Industrial District, photo submitted 1973
Click above images to enlarge

Calumet and Hecla Industrial District
Roughly bounded by Hecla and Torch Lake Railroad tracks, Calumet Ave., Mine and Depot streets, Calumet - Houghton County
Property Type copper mine
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/extractive facility
Current Use OTHER
Style Other
Architect/Builder Shaw and Hunnewell
Narrative Description The Calumet and Hecla Industrial Historic District adjoins the village of Calumet, formerly named Red Jacket, twelve miles north of Houghton. It is comprised of ten structures representing the architecture built by the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company to execute the business of mining and to benefit its employees. All buildings in the district are located in an area adjacent to the Hecla and Torch Lake Railroad tracks and Calumet Avenue. The industrial architecture is concentrated along a line above the copper lode where a trestle road connected the Calumet, Hecla, Red Jacket, and South Hecla mine shafts. Although most were designed and built by company engineers out of mine rock, brick, and Lake Superior sandstone rubble, three structures were designed by independent architectural firms.
Statement of Significance The Calumet and Hecla Industrial Historic District is a significant industrial monument. It represents the history of the mining economy and technology in upper Michigan. Most buildings in the district represent the growth between 1880 and 1910, with some of the earliest company structures having been destroyed by fires or razed. Following the copper strike on July 23, 1913, the Calumet and Hecla company gradually declined in profitability and closed in 1968.
Period of Significance 1880-1910
Significant Date(s) 1968
Registry Type(s) 06/28/1974 National Register listed
11/15/1973 State Register listed
Site ID# P23272