Trinity Episcopal Church, photo submitted c. 1986
Click above images to enlarge

Trinity Episcopal Church
200 Pewabic Street, Houghton - Houghton County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Gothic
Architect/Builder Alois Lang
JOHN SUTCLIFFE
Narrative Description Trinity Episcopal Church is a Gothic brick structure with a rock-face basement and window and door facings, copings, and beltcourses of red Jacobsville sandstone. The building has a nave and side aisles and a square corner tower topped with crenellations. In the interior the roof's timber trusses are visible and form arches spanning the nave. The chancel, separated from the nave by a wood screen, contains a high altar of white oak with a Gothic reredos displaying figures of Christ and angels carved by Alois Lang.
Statement of Significance Trinity Episcopal Church has historical significance as one of the oldest Episcopalian congregations in the Copper Country, and for its associations with the mining captains who established the church. It has architectural significance for its use of locally quarried building material, as a notable work of John Sutcliffe of Chicago, and for its fine interior artwork, including carvings executed by noted Michigan artist Alois Lang.
Marker Name Trinity Episcopal Church
Marker Text TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH Many of the Cornish miners, storekeepers and mining captains who immigrated to this area during the Copper Country mining boom (1842-1860) were Anglicans. On July 17, 1860, the Reverend Samuel A. McCrosky, Episcopal Bishop of Michigan, met with nine Houghton and Hancock businessmen to establish a parish. The group held its first public worship services on September 15, 1860. At its first vestry meeting, on July 13, 1861, the name Trinity Church was adopted. The present Jacobsville sandstone church was completed in 1910. Located on the site of an earlier wooden church, the present building has an interior design influenced by the Oxford Movement. The sanctuary's attractive wood carvings are the handiwork of Aloysius Lang of Oberammergau.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) Built 1906-1910
Registry Type(s) 04/24/1987 Marker erected
07/17/1986 State Register listed
Site ID# P23269