Hancock City Hall, photo taken in 1987
Click above images to enlarge

Hancock Town Hall and Fire Hall
399 Quincy Street, Hancock - Houghton County
Other Names Hancock Fire Station and City Hall
Hancock City Hall
Property Type town hall
Historic Use GOVERNMENT/city hall
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Late Victorian
Architect/Builder Charlton, Gilbert and DeMar
Demetrius Frederick Charlton
Narrative Description The Hancock Town Hall and Fire Station is situated on the city's main business street opposite city-owned Montezuma Park and overlooking the Portage Canal. The gable-roofed building is two stories in height with a square corner tower topped by an open wooden belfry, originally surmounted by a conical roof. The eclectically vernacular structure shows Flemish influence in its scrolled and stepped gable and resembles a Gothic parish church in its plan and composition. The building is constructed of evenly coursed, rock-faced, red Portage Entry sandstone. A broad-arched window, filled with diagonally paned glass above a bank of rectangular-shaped windows and flanked by smaller windows, dominates the main facade and admits light into the council chamber on the second floor.
Statement of Significance The Hancock Town Hall and Fire Hall, built in 1898 to 1899, is significant for its historic associations with the development of the City of Hancock and the surrounding copper mining, smelting and stamping industries. The public building is an example of eclectically vernacular architecture in native red sandstone designed by Charlton, Gilbert and Demar of Marquette and Milwaukee and constructed by E.E. Grip and Company of Ishpeming. The substantial building symbolized the permanence of Hancock in a region of fly-by-night mining towns.
Marker Name Hancock/Town Hall and Fire Station
Marker Text HANCOCK The Quincy Mining Company platted Hancock in 1859, a decade after the company began mining Keweenaw copper. While many copper towns boomed and busted within a short period of time, Hancock remained stable, incorporating as a city in 1875. By 1897, Hancock's four thousand citizens wanted a government building that would reflect the city's prosperity and stature. The Quincy company sold this lot to the city in 1898 and in January 1899 the Town Hall and Fire Hall opened. TOWN HALL AND FIRE HALL The Marquette firm of Charlton, Gilbert and Demar designed Hancock's Town Hall and Fire Hall. Completed in 1899, the building housed city offices, the fire department, and the marshall's office and jail. Built of Jacobsville sandstone with stepped and curved gables, it exhibits Richardsonian Romanesque, Dutch and Flemish influences. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1898-1899
Registry Type(s) 12/14/1998 Marker erected
06/01/1981 National Register listed
04/15/1977 State Register listed
Site ID# P23251