East Hancock Neighborhood Historic District, photo taken 1979
Click above images to enlarge

East Hancock Neighborhood Historic District
Roughly bounded by Front, Dunston and Vivian streets, Mason and Cooper avenues, Hancock - Houghton County
Other Names Whittle, Thomas House (415 Cooper Avenue)
Liebert, H. T., House (214 Mason Avenue)
Property Type district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Mixed
Architect/Builder H. T. LIEBERT
Narrative Description The East Hancock Neighborhood Historic District consists of eighty-eight residences, built from approximately 1890 to 1920 and a handful of related structures: a synagogue, a 1920s gas station, and a city WPA project of the 1930s. In variety and sophistication of building styles, the neighborhood exhibits a diverse architectural heritage. The large majority of houses sprang up during a surge of prosperity in the early 1900s. By 1907, the present pattern of styles in the neighborhood was established representing Queen Anne, Stick, Shingle, Neo-Classical, Renaissance Revival, and Bungaloid designs.
Statement of Significance The East Hancock Neighborhood Historic District is significant for its role in the growth of Hancock, its relationship to changing local business opportunities, and its regional architectural heritage. As it developed in the 1890s, East Hancock brought the business district to the west and the Quincy Mine to the north, into closer contact. The first prominent residents, including Samuel B. Harris, Superior National Bank President, General Manager for the Quincy Mine, Vice-President of the Quincy and Torch Lake Railroad Line, and Township Supervisor of Quincy during the 1890s and early 1900s, were generally mine employees and managers. As the mine declined in the early 1900s, the inhabitants of the district were more likely to be Hancock merchants and businessmen among whom were several members of the Jewish faith. Their efforts led to the establishment of a synagogue in the neighborhood, Temple Jacob, in 1912. Many of the homes in the district are the work of local architects and reflect the tastes and social class of their owners in the early 1900s. East Hancock continues to be a predominantly residential neighborhood.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Registry Type(s) 06/23/1980 National Register listed
Site ID# P23249