William R. Kirby Senior House, photo taken c. 1982
Click above images to enlarge

Kirby, William R., Sr. House
377 State Road, Hillsdale vicinity - Hillsdale County
Other Names Kirby-Keefer House
Property Type stone house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description The William Kirby House is a two-story, gable roofed, Greek Revival house with a one-and-one-half-story side wing and one-story, rear ell. Built probably in the 1840s, the house is constructed of fieldstone faced with a veneer of rounded cobblestones set in parallel rows and trimmed with cut sandstone corner quoins and window and doorway lintels and sills.
Statement of Significance The William Kirby House is significant for its association with the pioneer period of Hillsdale, Michigan, area history and with one of Hillsdale's pioneer families. This fine Greek Revival dwelling is also notable in architectural terms as one of only about two dozen thus far identified structures of cobblestone constructions existing in Michigan. Cobblestone building seems to have had its origins in upstate New York and the technique was probably brought to Michigan by settlers from that area.
Period of Significance 1825-1865
Significant Date(s) 1845
Registry Type(s) 07/20/1982 National Register listed
06/15/1979 State Register listed
Site ID# P23239