Gratiot County Courthouse, photo submitted 1975.
Click above images to enlarge

Gratiot County Courthouse
Center Street, Courthouse Square, Ithaca - Gratiot County
Property Type courthouse
Historic Use GOVERNMENT
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Classical Revival
Architect/Builder A. W. Mohnke
Claire Allen
Narrative Description The Gratiot County Courthouse is a two-and-one-half-story Classical Revival building with an exposed half-basement, a multi-stage tower, and walls covered in beige sandstone. The building stands in a grove of maples on the courthouse square. The exterior features include an unusual arched, twisted column front entrance and the decorative clock tower and belfry. The architectural details feature agricultural themes on both the exterior and interior. Relatively few alterations have been made to the building and many of the original details are intact.
Statement of Significance The Gratiot County Courthouse was built in 1902 from plans by Claire Allen of Jackson, after a dispute regarding the location of the county seat was settled between the cities of Ithaca and Alma. The total cost of the building was $75,000 and reflects the city's dependance on agriculture in its architectural details. County offices and trials are still held in the courthouse.
Marker Name Gratiot County
Marker Text GRATIOT COUNTY This county was named for General Charles Gratiot, builder of Fort Gratiot at Port Huron in 1814. A few Chippewas and other Indians lived in the area in 1831 when the county was laid out. A Lutheran Indian mission was set up in 1846 near what is now St. Louis. Settling of the county began in the same year. In 1856 the county government was organized, Ithaca being selected as county seat. Agriculture and industry combine to give Gratiot County a stable economy.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1900, 1902
Registry Type(s) 01/24/1958 Marker erected
01/31/1976 National Register listed
09/15/1957 State Register listed
Site ID# P23214