Quincy Street Historic District, photo taken c.1988
Click above images to enlarge

Quincy Street Historic District
100-129, 200-240, 300-340 Quincy St., 416 Tezcuco, Hancock - Houghton County
Property Type commercial
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
Style Classical Revival
Late Victorian
Narrative Description The Quincy Street Historic District is located in Hancock, Michigan, and includes the heart of Hancock's central business district consisting of the first three blocks of Quincy Street, plus two adjacent properties. The district contains the Hancock City Hall, post office, a county office building, and forty-two commercial buildings, most constructed between 1880 and 1915. The commercial buildings-- two to five-story, frame, brick, and brick and stone, eclectic late Victorian and early twentieth-century blocks-- line both sides of Quincy Street within the district.
Statement of Significance The Quincy Street Historic District contains a large concentration of well-preserved, late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century commercial and institutional structures. The district is a reflection of the economic prosperity enjoyed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century by Hancock, which was at the center of Michigan's copper mining region, and of the ethnic diversity and hopes for the future that the region had during the peak years of copper production between 1885 and 1915. The Hancock City Hall and the district's large late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century commercial buildings are important in architectural terms in the context of Michigan's Upper Peninsula for their scale, design quality, and association with leading area architects such as Charlton, Gilbert and Demar. The district buildings are also notable for their consistent use of the locally produced but widely distributed red Jacobsville, or Portage Entry, sandstone.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Registry Type(s) 10/13/1988 National Register listed
Site ID# P1101