Solomon S. Curry House, photo taken 1981
Click above images to enlarge

Curry, Solomon S., House
631 East McLeod Avenue, SE corner of Day Street, Ironwood - Gogebic County
Other Names Kornwolf's Antiques
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Late Victorian
Queen Anne
Significant Person Solomon Curry
Narrative Description The Solomon S. Curry House is a two-and-one-half-story, cross gabled, clapboard and shiplap sided residence resting on a raised concrete foundation. Constructed about 1887, the house is a vernacular expression of Queen Anne style. The first story has an L-shaped, open porch supported by a projecting triple bay window. At the second story this porch is enclosed with double-hung, six-over-six windows and decorative wooden columns, and faced with recessed shiplap panels. Above the second-story boxed cornice, the front and side facades of the attic story have central rectangular windows flanked by two smaller windows and surmounted by a decorative Palladian motif. The second floor balcony was enclosed in 1913 and a kitchen added to the rear of the building in 1952. Imported stained glass graces several of the windows in the house.
Statement of Significance The Curry House was constructed for Solomon S. Curry, a prominent figure in western Upper Peninsula mining and politics and an early pioneer of the City of Ironwood. An Ontario native, Curry became a partner in the Grant Mining and Manufacturing Company in 1865 and owned and managed his own ore mine in Marquette until 1873. Curry moved to Ishpeming where he organized the Metropolitan Iron and Land Company in 1880 and became its president five years later. After A.E. Norris discovered rich deposits of Bessemer ore on the Gogebic range east of the present city of Ironwood, Curry assumed management of the Norris mine early in 1882. By 1897, the Norris mine was the greatest ore producer in Michigan. After fire destroyed the village of Ironwood in 1887, Curry purchased land and constructed his Queen Anne residence in Ironwood. Curry was also active in Michigan politics, serving in the Michigan State Legislature while living in Ishpeming and later attempting to become Lieutenant Governor in 1896 and Michigan Twelfth district Congressional candidate in 1898. After his death, his house was used as a hospital and nursing home. It is currently a private residence and antique shop.
Marker Name Curry House
Marker Text CURRY HOUSE Here lived Solomon S. Curry, pioneer in the mining industry of the Ironwood area. Curry, a progressive, broad-minded man, was also instrumental in the building of the city of Ironwood, which through his efforts, grew from a wilderness to one of the major cities in northern Michigan. A Democrat, Curry was elected state representative in 1874 and was a candidate for lieutenant governor in 1896. Restored to its original appearance, the Curry House has Tiffany windows, nineteenth century light fixtures, and ornate woodwork.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1887
Registry Type(s) 05/01/1978 Marker erected
04/22/1982 National Register listed
11/07/1977 State Register listed
Site ID# P23172