The Robert Aitken Residence, photo c. 1982
Click above images to enlarge

Aitken, Robert P., Farm House
1110 North Linden Road, Flint - Genesee County
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Italianate
Late Victorian
Significant Person Robert Aitken
Narrative Description The Aitken Farm Residence is an exceptional example of nineteenth century Italianate architecture. The frame structure exhibits irregular massing; the main portion is square with other rectangular components added to its side and back. It is quite possible that these gable roofed additions predate the main portion of the structure; their eyebrow windows and the roof type may indicate earlier Greek Revival-inspired styling. The two-story main portion, however, with its paired eavesline brackets, hip roof, and hip roofed cupola, definitely reflects a later Italianate influence. The cupola is particularly striking with delicate scroll brackets at its four corners, rounded arch windows, and paired brackets under its eaves. All segments of the home have similar open porches with decorative support columns.
Statement of Significance In 1842, Robert Aitken came to Flint Township, located west of the settlement of Flint, from Montgomery County, New York. Aitken married Sarah J. Johnstone, also a native of New York, in 1843. The couple initially resided in a board shanty on their 240 acres of Flint Township property. Although the exact date is not known, it was sometime after 1843 that Aitken built the spectacular residence at 1110 Linden Road. Aitken became a successful farmer and esteemed public servant. He served as Flint Township Supervisor for twenty-one years and represented his district in the Michigan Legislature for four years. The Aitkens had five daughters and five sons. One son, David, later operated the farm and raised prize cattle; he was also an attorney and served as Flint's Mayor in 1905. The home is currently a private residence.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) Built 1843, 1865
Registry Type(s) 03/14/1983 Marker erected
11/26/1982 National Register listed
10/27/1983 State Register listed
Site ID# P23137