Engine House No. 18, photo submitted 1995. Engine House No. 18, photo submitted 1995.
Click above images to enlarge

Engine House No. 18
3812Mt. Elliott Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Fire Station 18
Property Type fire station
Historic Use GOVERNMENT/fire station
Current Use GOVERNMENT/fire station
Style Queen Anne
Architect/Builder Mason and Rice
Narrative Description Constructed in 1892, Engine House No. 18 is a two-story, rectangular building of Late Victorian design, with a high double-pitch hip roof crowning its front section and much lower jerkinhead roof over a slightly narrower rear section. The building has red brick walls with red-orange sandstone and brick of a more salmon hue used for trim. A flat-roof, one-story rear addition dates from 1949. The station also retains a one-story, brick storage building located at the back of the property.
Statement of Significance Engine House No. 18 is the oldest operating fire station in Detroit and the third-oldest fire station building in the city.
Period of Significance 1892-93
Registry Type(s) 11/29/1995 National Register listed
Site ID# P757