Birch Lodge, photo submitted c. 1987
Click above images to enlarge

Birch Lodge
County Road #40, Trout Lake - Chippewa County
Property Type hotel
Historic Use DOMESTIC/hotel
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Other
Narrative Description Located on the shores of Carp Lake on Highway 40 just west of Trout Lake Village, Birch Lodge is a "T-shaped," clapboard-sheathed building, featuring rectangular lights, flanked by green-painted horizontal diamond accented shutters, and raised pediments over single light enframements. It is capped by mansard-roofed dormers at the third story, topped by an asphalt shingled roof.
Statement of Significance Birch Lodge originated as the brain child of Dr. Edward David Ford and his wife Cornelia of Cambria, Wisconsin. Completed in 1913, Birch Lodge was Dr. Ford's dream of a facility that combined modern recreation with medical health. When first opened, the Birch Lodge Hospital and Summer Resort Sanitarium housed a dancing pavilion, boating equipment, a recreation room, cottages for tourists and patients, a spacious dining room and roomy lobby, as well as hospital facilities, an operating room dispensary, and a linen room. From 1913 until 1981 the lodge continued to host resort travelers, fall hunters, and summer tourists. The Birch Lodge historically recalls the novel conception of a combined resort-hospital facility in southwest Chippewa County during the second decade of the new century.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1911-1912
Registry Type(s) 11/20/1987 State Register listed
Site ID# P22874