Church of Our Savior, Friend of Children Church, photo taken c. 1982
Click above images to enlarge

Church of Our Saviour, Friend of Children
North Shore Road, Sugar Island, Payment Settlement, Sugar Island Township - Chippewa County
Other Names Holy Angels Roman Catholic Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Other
Architect/Builder Michael G. Payment
Significant Person Bishop Frederick Baraga
Narrative Description The Church of Our Savior, Friend of Children is a one-story, wood frame, rectangular structure covered in flush weatherboard over the original clapboard siding and resting on a fieldstone foundation. The gable roof is crowned by a square belfry with a pyramidal roof containing a working brass bell. Side facades have three evenly-spaced, sash-type windows. Square stud work appears beneath a box cornice line. A plain, wooden cross surmounts the gabled entry portico.
Statement of Significance The Church of Our Savior, constructed by Michael G. Payment between 1856 and 1857 at the request of Bishop Frederick Baraga, is the only remaining frame structure at Payment Settlement, a successful, mid-nineteenth century commercial venture and trading post. Montreal-native Michael Payment settled on Sugar Island in 1845 to take advantage of trade with local river traffic and the Chippewa Indians. Baraga, the first Catholic bishop of the Upper Peninsula and a noted Chippewa linguist, was a frequent visitor to Payment Settlement between 1853 and 1856. The bishop purchased the lumber for the construction of the church and celebrated mass there in 1857. The church was closed in 1953, but reopened c. 1982 for summer services.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1856, 1857
Registry Type(s) 07/08/1982 National Register listed
01/19/1978 State Register listed
Site ID# P22872