Parke-Davis Research Laboratory, bldg #55, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Parke-Davis Research Laboratory
Joseph Campau Avenue at the Detroit River, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Building 55-Detroit Research
Property Type brick building
Historic Use HEALTH CARE
Current Use DOMESTIC/hotel
Style Classical Revival
Architect/Builder Donaldson and Meier
Significant Person Samuel P. Duffield
Hervey C. Parke
George S. Davis
Narrative Description Building Number 55, Detroit Research, as Parke-Davis and Company today calls its Detroit research facility, is a three-story brick building measuring approximately 120' x 40'. The building was constructed in 1902. The architect and builder are unknown. The building is an example of public architecture of the period. It is not noted in architectural surveys of important Detroit properties.
Statement of Significance Pharmacology, the study of the changes produced in animals by chemical substances and especially the study of drugs used in treating diseases, has long been an important area of pure or basic scientific research. In the United States the development of pharmacological research began after the Civil War in the medical schools and in the laboratories associated with the drug companies. Along with the electrical and chemical industries the drug companies were among the first industries to introduce the pursuit of basic research as a company policy. The industrial leader in the development of pharmacological research in the United States was Parke-Davis and Company of Detroit, Michigan. When in 1902 Parke-Davis built the first industrial laboratory devoted exclusively to pharmacological research, the facility marked the institutionalization of a pure science research activity which has been responsible for many of the "wonder drugs" that are today taken for granted.
Period of Significance 1902-1945
Significant Date(s) 1873
1866
Registry Type(s) 05/11/1976 National Historic Landmark listed
05/11/1976 National Register listed
Site ID# P131