Lincoln Motor Company, photo submitted 1996 Lincoln Motor Company, photo submitted 1996
Click above images to enlarge

Lincoln Motor Company Plant
6200Warren Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Detroit Edison Warren Service Center
Property Type factory
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/manufacturing facility
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION
INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/industrial storage
Style Other
Architect/Builder Albert Kahn
George Dewitt Mason
Henry Ford
Walbridge and Aldinger
Significant Person Henry Martyn Leland
Henry Ford
Narrative Description The Lincoln Motor Company Plant, situated in an industrial section in west Detroit, consists of an Administration Building and Garage, a Machine Shop, and two factories especially built by Henry M. Leland to manufacture the Liberty engine and later used by him for the production of the first Lincoln automobiles. Most of these structures have concrete foundations, steel frames, and flat roofs; are faced with cream-colored brick; and exhibit many of their original exterior features.
Statement of Significance The Lincoln Motor Company Plant, situated in an industrial section in west Detroit, consists of an Administration Building and Garage, a Machine Shop, and two factories especially built by Henry M. Leland to manufacture the Liberty engine and later used by him for the production of the first Lincoln automobiles. The Liberty Engine, developed shortly after the United States entered World War I, was, according to Air Force historian Carroll V. Glines, Jr., "one of America's greatest contributions to aviation during the war." The most successful manufacturer of these engines was automaker Henry M. Leland whose Lincoln Motor Company produced more of them than any other company and in the process set records for both daily and monthly production. Although Leland contributed to the success of Ransom E. Olds' curved-dash Oldsmobile with his precision-made transmissions and engines, he won his greatest fame as a manufacturer in his own right. Late in 1902, Leland became associated with the Cadillac Motor Company, and during the next 15 years he made the firm's name synonymous with high quality automobiles. Under Leland's direction, Cadillac carried the interchangeability of parts to a hitherto unreached plateau, encouraged Charles F. Kettering to develop the first successful electric starter, and became the first American manufacturer to produce a V-type, water-cooled, eight-cylinder engine. As a result of these achievements, Cadillac was the first American automobile to win the Dewar Trophy of the Royal Automobile Club. In fact, the car earned this highly coveted international award twice.
Period of Significance 1917-1922
Significant Date(s) 1917
1918
1922
Registry Type(s) 06/02/1978 National Historic Landmark listed
06/02/1978 National Register listed
Site ID# P112