Van Buren County Courthouse (Paw Paw City Hall), photo submitted 1971
Click above images to enlarge

Van Buren County Courthouse
East Michigan Avenue, Paw Paw - Van Buren County
Other Names Paw Paw City Hall, First Van Buren County Courthouse
Property Type courthouse
Historic Use GOVERNMENT/courthouse
Current Use GOVERNMENT/government office
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder Reuben E. Churchill
Stafford Godfrey
Narrative Description This two-story temple style building has a gable roof and features a simplified Palladian window and pedimented portico with six engaged columns. A high base supporting the columns corresponds approximately with the height of the first floor. The tympanium and wall portico are flush board and are now painted a pale green. The rest of the building is white with clapboard siding. The classical cupola that once graced the building has been removed in stages. its square base was still visible in a 1939 photograph although the dome and columns were missing. It has since been eintirely removed. The absence of a classical cupola strengthens the Greek Revival lines of the building.
Statement of Significance Featuring a modified Palladian window and a pedimented portico, the old Van Buren County Courthouse represents a successful blending of Greek and Classical Revival features. The building served as a courthouse for over half a century; it is one of Michigan's oldest courthouse buildings. Moved early in the twentieth century, when it was replaced by a much larger facility, the old Van Buren County Courthouse occupies a prominent position on Paw Paw's main street, where it served as a youth center during the depression. It is now Paw Paw's city hall.
Period of Significance 1845-1900
Significant Date(s) 1845
Registry Type(s) 08/21/1972 National Register listed
12/19/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P29565