New Fort Brady, maps submitted 1976-1998
Click above images to enlarge

New Fort Brady
Lake Superior State College campus, Sault Ste. Marie - Chippewa County
Property Type fort
Historic Use DEFENSE
Current Use EDUCATION
Style Other
Narrative Description Originally the New Fort Brady reservation consisted of seventy-three acres of land, with sixty-four buildings. Located in the northwestern corner of the city of Sault Ste. Marie, the Fort was the focus of attention for approximately fifty years. Built to accommodate a full four-company post, it included one single and three double sets of officers quarters, and one gun shed. Currently the site of Lake Superior State University, (formerly Lake Superior State College) existing buildings have been well maintained. The old Headquarters building was remodeled to house university offices and a museum. Other buildings have recently been replaced, but the larger buildings of major importance in Fort Brady's history have remained on the campus.
Statement of Significance New Fort Brady has a long and distinguished history, starting with a move from the old site nearby. The growth of Sault Ste. Marie and the enlargement of the Soo Locks necessitated the removal of Fort Brady to higher ground to secure a more advantageous position for protection of the locks. The new fort was completed in the fall of 1892 on land platted by Assistant Quartermaster George S. Hoyt. Captain J. D. Leitch received orders for troop removal from the old fort on November 17, 1892. Following the two World Wars it was found that the protection that New Fort Brady offered could, in an emergency, be provided by personnel from another area and in 1944 New Fort Brady was deactivated. The property was given to the Michigan College of Mining and Technology at Houghton, which established a branch at New Fort Brady in 1946. After renovations, the building and grounds were sold to Lake Superior State College.
Marker Name New Fort Brady
Marker Text NEW FORT BRADY When Sault Ste. Marie expanded and its canal was widened, the riverfront site of Fort Brady was abandoned for a higher, more strategic site selected by General Philip Sheridan. Work began in 1886, and the new fort was opened in 1893. From this hilltop, New Fort Brady guarded the copper and iron ore enroute from the mineral regions of western Lake Superior through St. Mary's Ship Canal. Although never under attack, its troops were called up in 1894 during civil unrest, but primarily they protected the canal until the Second World War, when 15,000 soldiers were stationed here. In 1944 the National Guard assumed these responsibilities and New Fort Brady was closed. Camp Lucas, a small section of the fort was reactivated briefly during the Korean Conflict.
Period of Significance 1892-1944
Significant Date(s) 1946
Registry Type(s) 08/12/1976 Marker erected
01/13/1972 National Register listed
07/17/1970 State Register listed
Site ID# P22862