Cheboygan County Courthouse (Demolished)
229 Court Street, Cheboygan - Cheboygan County
Historic Use GOVERNMENT
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/museum
Architect/Builder James F. Watson
Marker Name Old Cheboygan County Courthouse
Marker Text OLD CHEBOYGAN COUNTY COURTHOUSE When Cheboygan County was organized in 1853, the courthouse was located in Duncan (now a part of the city of Cheboygan.) In 1860 the county board of supervisors moved the county seat to Inverness Township and purchased this property from Bela Chapman. This courthouse, built by J. F. Watson in 1869 at a cost of $3,000, held its last circuit court session in 1899. Since then it has served as a fire station, a church and a community center.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) Built 1869
Registry Type(s) 03/25/1980 Marker erected
05/08/1986 National Register listed
09/15/1975 State Register listed
Site ID# P22827