Mason District Number 5 Schoolhouse, photo c. 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Mason District No. 5 Schoolhouse
17049 US-12, Mason Township - Cass County
Other Names Mason Township Hall
Property Type schoolhouse
Historic Use EDUCATION
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Late Victorian
Narrative Description The Mason District Number 5 Schoolhouse is a one-story, T-plan, yellow brick structure resting on a fieldstone foundation. Raised dark red brick trim forms Italianate-inspired hood molds over the arched windows and door frame and trims the cornice, forming triangle-shaped downward projections which mimic the appearance of brackets. In the raking eaves, the red brick trim is inset with yellow brick crosses. A double row of red brick also forms a belt course marking the separation between the first floor and foundation on the exterior. A gable-roofed, single-story addition, constructed c. 1988, extends off of the rear of the building.
Statement of Significance In size and architectural distinction, the District Number 5 Schoolhouse is far in advance of the typical late nineteenth-century rural Michigan school building. Constructed in 1875, the structure served Mason Township as a school for up to 110 students until 1959. In 1964, the schoolhouse was reopened as the township hall. Since 1972, the former District Number 5 Schoolhouse has accommodated the Mason-Union Branch of the Cass County Library as well as the township hall.
Marker Name District Schoolhouse
Marker Text DISTRICT SCHOOLHOUSE This late-Victorian schoolhouse was built in 1874-1875. Constructed at a cost of $3,000, it is made of locally manufactured yellow and red brick. The 1882 Cass County History described it as "the best rural schoolhouse in the State." Its two classrooms could accommodate 110 pupils. The school was used until the local district was absorbed into the Constantine School District in 1959. In 1964 the building became the township hall; and in 1972, the Mason Union Branch of the Cass County Library.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) Built 1874
Registry Type(s) 10/06/1981 Marker erected
09/12/1985 National Register listed
06/10/1980 State Register listed
Site ID# P22789