Click above images to enlarge

Weller, Harold and Mabelle, House
36035Washington, Richmond - Macomb County
Other Names Sanford M. Stone House
Roseburn Place
Property Type building
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Colonial Revival
Narrative Description The Harold and Mabelle Weller house began as an Eastlake style house when it was constructed by Sanford Stone in 1878. As such, it incorporated elements like an asymmetrical plan, steeply pitched gables, heavy window hoods and bargeboards. Mabelle Weller purchased the house in 1920 and had it reconstructed in the then-fashionable Colonial Revival style. In its "updated" and still current form, the two-story house has a hipped roof and a symmetrical main facade. The central, first story entrance portico has a round-arched underside and is supported by paired Doric columns. A dependent porte cochere and sunroom on each side of the structure maintain the house's symmetrical appearance on the main facade.
Statement of Significance The Weller house is an excellent example of Colonial Revival style architecture, popular during the early part of the twentieth century. Built in 1920, the resource's formal design characteristics and high level of preservation make it a landmark building in the village of Richmond. State Historic Preservation Office survey data for Richmond indicates a housing stock comprising more modest dwellings, many of which have suffered a loss of integrity due to the application of synthetic siding. It should be noted that the original house was built by Sanford M. Stone, one of Richmond's most prominent nineteenth century citizens. However, because the house reflects the preferences and attitudes of the Wellers who had it reconstructed in 1920, it bears the historic name "Harold and Mabelle Weller House."
Marker Name Sanford Stone/Weller House
Marker Text SANFORD STONE Sanford Stone (1828-1888) came to Richmond in 1843. In 1875 he platted "Sanford M. Stone's Addition to the village of Richmond," which included Jefferson and Washington Streets between Ferguson and Beebe. Stone held many public offices, including state representative, village president and county coroner. On this site in 1878, he built an Eastlake style house, which sported ornate chimneys and decorative trim in the gables, making it one of Richmond's most elaborate buildings. WELLER HOUSE Mabelle Streibig Weller purchased the former Sanford Stone House in 1920. Built in 1878 in the Victorian era Eastlake Style, the house was reconstructed for Weller and her husband, Harold, to reflect the more "modern" Colonial Revival style. The Wellers named the house Roseburn Place for Mabelle's late mother, Rose Burns. In 1993, Weller descendants sold the house to a Richmond businessman. Restored during the 1990s, the house remains a Richmond landmark.
Period of Significance 1878/1920
Significant Date(s) 1920-1993
Registry Type(s) 02/18/1999 Marker erected
01/21/1999 State Register listed
Site ID# P28622