|Statement of Significance
Built in 1902-03, St. James' Episcopal Church is a fine, virtually unaltered Neo-Gothic church building of parish church type and probably the only example of its type in the entire eastern Upper Peninsula. It was built during the boom period of power canal construction, but the anticipated industrial and urban growth that would follow the construction of the power canal and electrical plant was slow to materialize. Perhaps as a result, the completion of the new St. James' church building left a substantial indebtedness in its wake that the parish found difficult to erase, as the debt was not paid off until 1919. St. James Church was consecrated on April 17, 1919, and the church remains in use today with few significant changes.