Exeter Township Hall, photo submitted 1997.
Click above images to enlarge

Exeter Township Hall
6158Scofield Road, Maybee - Monroe County
Property Type town hall
Historic Use GOVERNMENT/city hall
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Other
Narrative Description The Exeter Township Hall is located on the west side of Sumpter Road near the corner of Grant Street in what was once the village of Scofield in Monroe County. It is a one-story, front-gabled, wood frame structure with a rectangular plan measuring approximately twenty-two by fifty feet, and is set on a stone rubble foundation with no basement. This modest building retains most of its original features. It is clad in wood drop siding with a metal roof. Double-hung, four-over-four windows are symmetrically placed on all four sides of the building. The double doors of the front entrance are centrally located, and a single doorway is located at the rear of the building on the northwest corner. The exterior is trimmed with a minimum of ornamentation consisting of a plain, wooden cornice and corner boards, and doors and windows topped with simple pedimented wooden lintels.
Statement of Significance Exeter Township was formally organized in 1836, at which time it separated from the township of London, which had originally been part of Raisinville. The village of Maybee, located in the southwestern portion of the township on the site of the Abram Maybee farm, developed as a result of the construction of the Canada Southern Railway. The township was heavily timbered with elm, oak and other hardwoods, which led to the establishment of an extensive charcoal industry there, and by 1890 the growing township found it necessary to set up a permanent location for the conducting of governmental affairs. On April 7 of that year, a vote was taken for the appropriation of $500 for a suitable building site, and the construction of a township hall. Interior furnishings were also considered by the township board at a meeting held on September 19, 1890, where the building committee was authorized ". . . to furnish the Hall with necessary booths according to the Election Laws of 1889. Also fixtures consisting of one stove and pipes, one table, six chairs, and two benches." By November 1, the building committee reported that the new Exeter Township hall was "completed and accepted." Also at this time, four payments totaling $470.00 were issued to W. P. Nevans in connection with the building, but it is not clear whether these were for labor only, or labor and materials.
Marker Name Exeter Township Hall
Marker Text EXETER TOWNSHIP HALL Exeter was set off from London Township in 1836, and Gilbert Palmer became its first supervisor. In 1890 township officials set aside five hundred dollars to build this township hall. The Canada Southern Railway, which ran through the township, spurred the growth of Exeter's logging, charcoal and limestone industries. Bricks, barrels and broomsticks were produced in Maybee and Scofield. The area outside the villages was farmland.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Registry Type(s) 04/23/2001 Marker erected
09/03/1998 State Register listed
Site ID# P27281