The Herman and Anna Hanka Farm, photo submitted 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Hanka, Herman and Anna, Farm
Hanka Rd. (Sec. 19, T52N, R33W), Pelkie - Baraga County
Other Names The Hanka Farm
Property Type farm complex
log building
Historic Use AGRICULTURE/SUBSISTENCE
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Other
Narrative Description Located in the northernmost portion of Baraga County, the forty-acre Herman and Anna Hanka Farm is a complex of eleven buildings and related landscape features that represent the late nineteenth-century settlement and the establishment of an agricultural way of life in the rural areas of the Keweenaw Peninsula by predominantly Finnish immigrants. The buildings were constructed from hewn logs by the members of the Hanka family who occupied the farm from 1896 until 1966. The buildings include the farmhouse (c. 1896, with addition before 1915), a well (before 1924), grain storehouse (before 1924), cattle barn (c. 1910), hay barn (c. 1896), woodshed (before 1924), outhouse, field hay barn, stable (c. 1914), chicken coop, milkhouse (before 1924), root cellar (before 1902 and 1935), an unimproved indrive (before 1902), sauna (c. 1896), and blacksmith shop.
Statement of Significance Because the Hanka Farm is a relatively intact and unaltered collection of Finnish buildings and landscape features located solidly within one of the earliest and largest Finnish rural communities in the United States, it has significance not only for the history of Michigan, but for the nation as well. Homesteaded at a time of mass, rural emigration from Finland and during a similar movement from the mining locations of the Copper Country both to nearby and to distant rural areas, the Hanka site is associated with the waning of the mining frontier on the Keweenaw Peninsula and with the establishment of widespread settlement, much of it Finnish, and of an agricultural way of life in one of the few areas of the country still largely unsettled after the official closing of the frontier in 1890. The forms and functions of its buildings represent the transfer of a north-European folk-architectural tradition to the western Great Lakes region and the adaptation of this tradition to the social and physical conditions of its new setting.
Period of Significance 1896-1966
Significant Date(s) 1896, 1928
Registry Type(s) 07/19/1984 National Register listed
Site ID# P22518