Arvon Township Hall, photo taken 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Arvon Township Hall
Park Road, Skanee - Baraga County
Property Type hall
Historic Use GOVERNMENT
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Other
Architect/Builder Charles W. Maass
Fred Carlson
Narrative Description The Arvon Township Hall is a rectangular, two-story frame building with yellow painted horizontal board siding above a first-story sided with brown-stained shingles. A broadly pitched hip roof whose line is broken by a central facade pediment and a decorative cupola provides distinctive vernacular architectural design. The building sits on a poured concrete foundation. It has a second-story frame porch and stair case on the front facade and a covered stoop on the rear facade. Two large, shingled square pillars frame the front door opening. A decorative gingerbread scroll-cut railing accents the porch. The six-sided cupola has a pyramid roof and an open frame work of curved lines within rectangular panels above a shingled base. An iron finial and weather vane top the cupola.
Statement of Significance The Arvon Township Hall is locally significant as a vernacular expression of architecture, as a physical symbol of the important role township government played in an early twentieth century frontier setting, and as a historic and contemporary setting for amateur theatrical productions, community pageants, and ethnic music festivals. The hall was constructed by Fred Carlson of Hancock in 1915 based on a design by Charles W. Maass also of Hancock. The hall served as a community center and provided space for public meetings. It continues to be a venue for local meetings, ethnic festivals, and recreational activities.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1915
Registry Type(s) 07/30/1981 National Register listed
Site ID# P22515