All Saints Episcopal Church, photo submitted by Resource Analysts, Inc, in 1983
Click above images to enlarge

All Saints Episcopal Church
252 Grand Street, SW corner of Hoffman Street, Saugatuck - Allegan County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Gordon W. Lloyd
Narrative Description All Saints' Episcopal Church is a frame, board-and-batten, Gothic Revival structure constructed between 1872 and 1875. The church is a rectangular, steeply pitched, gable-roofed structure with a towered vestibule attached to one corner topped by an open, square belfry with a cross-topped spire. The belfry has a classical cornice and a cusped arch opening on each of its four sides. The vestibule has gabled ends with scalloped vergeboards. The scallop design is repeated on the raking cornices of each of the gables. The upper third of the lancet windows in the nave and sanctuary display quatrefoil and trefoil mullion patterns. A rose window with thick, foiled mullions, surmounted by an ornamental hood molding which corresponds to the pitch of the roof pierces the front facade adjacent to the vestibule. A rectory and parish hall, executed in matching style, were attached to the rear of the church between 1945 and 1946.
Statement of Significance All Saints' Episcopal Church is a particularly pleasing and well preserved example of the board-and-batten, English-parish-church-type, Gothic Revival church genre of the nineteenth century and the work of Midwest architect Gordon W. Lloyd, who specialized in church architecture. The All Saints' congregation signed its articles of association on November 1, 1868 and was admitted to the Michigan Diocese as a parish in 1869. All Saints' is one of the small number of the remaining examples of architect Gordon W. Lloyd's work and an outstanding example of his more modest-scale church architecture. The church continues to serve as an Episcopal parish church today.
Marker Name All Saint's Episcopal Church / Gordon W. Lloyd
Marker Text ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL CHURCH An Episcopal parish was organized in Saugatuck on All Saints' Day, November 1, 1868. Services were held at various locations until 1873. In 1871 the parish purchased this property. Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd designed the Gothic Revival-style church building. Although services were first held on January 25, 1873, the church was not completed until 1874. After a period of decline that caused the parish to become a diocesan mission, full parish status was restored in 1946. GORDON W. LLOYD Gordon W. Lloyd (1832-1904) was among the Midwest's foremost church architects. He was trained at England's Royal Academy, under the tutelage of his uncle, Ewan Christian. Lloyd immigrated to the United States in 1858, settling in Detroit. In 1861 he designed Detroit's Christ Church. Among his other churches are Central United Methodist Church in Detroit, Grace Episcopal Church in Mt. Clemens and St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Flint. The design of All Saints closely resembles that of his St. James Church of Grosse Ile.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) Built 1872-1875, addition 1945-1946
Registry Type(s) 04/19/1983 Marker erected
12/27/1984 National Register listed
04/24/1981 State Register listed
Site ID# P22463