Globe, Tobacco Building, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Globe Tobacco Building
407Fort Street, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Globe Tobacco Building Historic District-Local
Property Type brick building
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/manufacturing facility
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder Alexander Chapoton
Narrative Description The Globe Tobacco Company Building is a six-story, rectangular, Richardsonian Romanesque building. Built in 1888, the structure has a flat-roof, and is a load bearing masonry building with a heavy timber interior structure with post and beams. The South elevation's main feature is a large, one-and-one-half story entrance archway in the center bay, and a raised parapet flanked by two cement spheres.
Statement of Significance The Globe Tobacco Company Building is the oldest tobacco manufactory extant in Detroit The Globe Tobacco Company was founded in 1871 by O.P. Hazard, Thomas McGraw, Hiram Walker, and William Moore. By 1888 the Company had this building built to house its expanding operations. By 1891 tobacco was the number one industry in Detroit and Globe Tobacco was one of the top five manufacturers. The Globe Tobacco company exported across North and South America and to Great Britain, although the Companies best business came from the northwest and northeast of the United States. The Company went out of business in 1925.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1888
Registry Type(s) 11/13/1984 National Register listed
Site ID# P4514