St. Josaphat St. Josaphat
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Josaphat's Roman Catholic Church Complex
715Canfield, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Saint Josaphat Historic District-Local
Property Type religious complex
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder Kastler and Hunter
Narrative Description Constructed in the 1899 to 1907 period for a Polish parish, the St. Josaphat's Roman Catholic Church Complex includes the late Victorian Romanesque St. Josaphat's Church, a two-and-one-half-story brick rectory, a two-and-one-half-story Sisters' residence and a brick boiler house. The area around the complex has been extensively redeveloped and is now surrounded by housing and the Medical Arts Complex.
Statement of Significance St. Josaphat's has architectural significance as one of Detroit's oldest Polish Catholic congregations and notes the advent and impact of Polonia in Detroit during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. St. Josaphat's, founded in 1889, was the third Polish Catholic parish established in Detroit. A combination church/school building was built 1890 and replaced by a new church, rectory, and nuns' residence at a cost of $100,000 from plans by Detroit architects Joseph G. Kastler and William E.N. Hunter in 1901.
Marker Name St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church Complex
Marker Text ST. JOSAPHAT ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH COMPLEX St. Josaphat's, founded on June 1, 1889, was the third Polish-speaking Roman Catholic parish established in Detroit. On February 2, 1890, it dedicated a combination church and school building. Within a decade plans were begun for a new church rectory and a convent. In 1901 this late Victorian Romanesque-style church was completed at a cost of $100,000. The church was designed by Joseph G. Kastler and William E. N. Hunter. Local carpenters, Harcus & Lang and the Jermolowicz Brothers, were the builders. The stained glass was crafted by the Detroit Stained Glass Works. In 1907 the convent was completed. The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1899-1907
Registry Type(s) 04/28/1987 Marker erected
12/08/1982 National Register listed
11/26/1985 State Register listed
Site ID# P4504