St. John St. John
Click above images to enlarge

Saint John's-Saint Luke's Evangelical Church
2120Russell, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Saint John's-Saint Luke Evangelical Church-Local
Property Type religious complex
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Gothic
Architect/Builder Hans Gehrke
Julius Hess
Spier and Rohns
Narrative Description St. John's - St. Luke's Church complex includes a brick, High Victorian Gothic church, a three-story, brick Victorian parochial school and a brick, Romanesque Revival parsonage. The church is a fine Victorian Gothic structure now covered with cast-stone. The exterior has been extensively altered from its original appearance. The facade features a parapeted front-gable flanked by a major tower to one side and a smaller tower to the other. A large lancet window dominates the facade and a gabled vestibule fronts the entrance. The outstanding interior is painted white and gold colors and features elaborate Gothic woodwork.
Statement of Significance St. John's - St. Luke's is significant historically as the oldest German Protestant church in Detroit and the progenitor of twelve other German Protestant churches in the city and architecturally as an interesting example of changing tastes and building technologies in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Constructed in 1874, the church is one of the city's finest brick Victorian Gothic churches and was designed by the renown architect Julius Hess. The church was completely re-cast in 1915 in concrete Formstone, designed by architect Hans Gehrke. The interior is a fine example of High Victorian Gothic design with a historically significant lighting system and a noteworthy Votteler organ.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1872, 1873, 1900, 1915
Registry Type(s) 04/22/1982 National Register listed
Site ID# P4498