Charles Trowbridge House, photo taken 1970
Click above images to enlarge

Trowbridge, Charles, House
1380Jefferson, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Trowbridge House-Local
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Federal
Narrative Description The Charles Trowbridge House is a two-story, five-bay, Federal style brick house topped by a shingled, side-gable roof. The entrance is fronted by a pedimented, small entry porch supported by Doric columns and features a frieze decorated with triglyphs and metopes. The house also has decorative Victorian stone garlands on the window lintels.
Statement of Significance The Trowbridge House is the oldest known house in Detroit and was built by Charles Trowbridge, one of the city's most prominent early citizens. Trowbridge built this house in 1826 during his term as Deputy U.S. Marshall. He later served as personal secretary to Governor Lewis Cass, Deputy U.S. Clerk, and mayor of Detroit among other posts. The house remained in the Trowbridge family until 1945 and is currently in good condition.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1826
Registry Type(s) 05/28/1976 National Register listed
07/26/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P4497