East Ferry Avenue Historic District, photo submitted 1976 East Ferry Avenue Historic District, photo submitted 1976 East Ferry Avenue Historic District, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

East Ferry Avenue Historic District
East Ferry Ave. between Woodward and Beaubien, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Ferry Avenue Historic District
East Ferry Avenue Historic District-Local
Property Type district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Late Victorian
Mixed
Narrative Description The East Ferry Avenue Historic District consists of twenty-four large, single family homes built between 1885 and 1920. The majority of the dwellings illustrate a variety of Queen Anne, Romanesque Revival, and Colonial Revival designs. The houses built on Ferry Avenue illustrate the progression from eclectic Victorian to the more academic Colonial Revival and Mediterranean Revival styles.
Statement of Significance The East Ferry Avenue Historic District is significant as an intact, turn-of-the-century, upperclass, residential streetscape illustrating a variety of architectural styles popular from the 1880s through the first decades of the twentieth century. The street is especially notable for its outstanding state of preservation. The houses in the district are also significant as representatives of some of the least altered residential work of Detroit's leading architects of the late nineteenth century. Currently many of the houses in the East Ferry Avenue Historic District are still in residential use. Many of the homes are owned by the Merrill-Palmer Institute, a private, non-profit educational institution for use as offices and dormitories.
Period of Significance 1885-1920
Registry Type(s) 03/10/1980 National Register listed
12/14/1976 State Register listed
Site ID# P4495