The Perry McAdow House, photo taken 1980 The Perry McAdow House, photo taken 1980
Click above images to enlarge

McAdow, Perry, House
4605Cass Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names First Unitarian Universalist Church Parish House
First Unitarian-Universalist Church-Local
Property Type brick building
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Renaissance
Architect/Builder Scott and Company
Narrative Description The Perry McAdow House is a two-and-one-half-story, hip-roofed, red-brick-and-brownstone, rectangular building of Renaissance Revival design. The essentially boxy shape is articulated on the outside with bay windows, Corinthian columned porches, parapet ballustrades, and a modillion cornice. Attached at the rear of the house is a two-story, red-brick-and-limestone, parapet gabled, tudor style, church hall built in 1917.
Statement of Significance The Perry McAdow house, built in 1891 for Mr, and Mrs. McAdow, is of architectural significance as a well preserved Victorian mansion with elaborate, period interiors.
Marker Name First Unitarian Universalist Church
Marker Text FIRST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH Perry W. McAdow and his wife Clara built this elaborate Victorian mansion in 1891. The McAdows, who had earned their fortune in the gold mines of Montana, lived here from 1891 to 1897. The house continued as a private residence until 1913, when it was sold to the Universalist congregation. It was used as a temporary church until 1916, when the congregation completed a new church in the former garden to the north. This structure then became the parish house. In 1934 the Universalist and Unitarian congregations merged acquiring the name, First Unitarian Universalist Church of Detroit. The group uses this structure as a place of meetings and worship for religious liberals. The house, with its notable frescos, paneling, plasterwork and stained glass was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Registry Type(s) 04/29/1986 Marker erected
07/03/1980 National Register listed
12/14/1976 State Register listed
Site ID# P4493