Trinity Episcopal Church, photos submitted 1980 Trinity Episcopal Church, photos submitted 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Trinity Episcopal Church
1519Myrtle, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Trinity Episcopal Church-Local
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Late Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Mason and Rice
Significant Person James E. Scripps
Narrative Description Trinity Episcopal Church is a rock-faced limestone structure of Early English Gothic design measuring approximately 100 feet long by fifty-five feet wide. It is symmetrical and basilican in plan with a massive square tower rising two stories over the crossing. The twin entrance vestibules are located at the west end of the north and south aisles. The fenestration consists of symmetrically arranged, lancet-arched, stone windows grouped under hood molds. The roof of the nave, aisles and tower are encompassed by crenelated parapet walls. Among the interesting features are the small octagonal stair turret that abuts the southeast corner of the tower and the carved stone gargoyle rainwater leaders. The design relies heavily on the contrast between the coursed rockfaced white limestone walls and the smooth, brown sandstone trim used for the quoins, the belt courses, the copings, the window surrounds, the basement facing and the entrance vestibules.
Statement of Significance Trinity Episcopal Church is primarily of architectural significance as one of the earliest examples of archaeologically correct Neo-Gothic design in the United States. The church is historically important for its associations with an important Detroit philanthropist and patron of the arts, James E. Scripps, publisher of the Detroit News. Scripps commissioned the Detroit architectural firm of Mason and Rice to design the church, completed between 1890 and 1892.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1890-1892
Registry Type(s) 05/22/1980 National Register listed
08/03/1979 State Register listed
Site ID# P4490