Saint Albertus Roman Catholic Church, photo submitted 1978 Saint Albertus Roman Catholic Church, photo submitted 1978
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Albertus Roman Catholic Church
4231St. Aubin, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Saint Albertus Roman Catholic Church District-Local
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Henry Englebert
Narrative Description Saint Albertus Roman Catholic Church is a monumental, brick walled, Gothic Revival church laid in a cruciform plan. The steep, intersecting gable roofs feature spires and parapets. the entrance facade is fronted by an octagonal, truncated clock tower ornamented with gablets and finials. Tall lancet windows filled with rich stone tracery are separated by buttresses capped with light colored stone. Stone is also used in decorative beltcourses, window hoods, and in the triple, repeated-arch entrance portals.
Statement of Significance Saint Albertus Roman Catholic Church is an unusual example of Gothic Revival architecture with with distinct western Polish architectural details found on twelve lunette panels. the church was the center of Detroit's Polish Catholic culture during the late nineteenth century and is the mother church of approximately thirty parishes. Built in 1885 from plans by architect Henry Engelbert, the church was completed at a total of $84,000. Saint Albertus Church hosts regular services and is the focus of efforts to attract suburban parishoners to the area.
Marker Name St. Albertus Church
Marker Text ST. ALBERTUS CHURCH Polish immigrants arrived in Detroit as early as the 1850s, but not until the Reverend Simon Wieczorek founded St. Albertus Roman Catholic Parish in 1872, did their community have a center. A neighborhood, called Wojciechowo, grew around the parish's first church. In 1885 the present Gothic Revival building replaced the original wooden frame structure. Inspired by the Reverend Dominic Kolasinski's concern for Polish traditions, it incorporates twelve lunette panels over the nave arcades, brick detailing, and an octagonal tower common to churches in Poland. Although the community eventually dispersed, St. Albertus Church still stands as a symbol of the first Polish community in Detroit.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1884-1885
Registry Type(s) 06/27/1975 Marker erected
01/18/1978 National Register listed
07/26/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P4484