Engine House No. 11, photo submitted 1975
Click above images to enlarge

Engine House No. 11
2737Gratiot, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Fire Department Engine House No. 11
Engine House No. 11-Local
Property Type fire station
Historic Use GOVERNMENT/fire station
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Other
Architect/Builder Gascoine and Son
Narrative Description The Engine House No. 11 is a two-and-one-half-story red brick building topped by a hip-roof. A three-story hose-drying tower rises from one side of the structure. The entrance facade features a gabled three-story central bay and contains the double door fire truck entrances at the ground level. Two second-story windows are framed by three triple-pier brick muntins joined by slightly projected arched lintels and are supported by corbels.
Statement of Significance The Fire Department Engine House No. 11 is the oldest remaining fire house in Detroit. Built in 1883 for the 11th company of Detroit firefighters, the station was used by the company until 1972. The building was used as an emergency medical service station until 1976 and currently houses a museum for the Detroit Fire Department.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1916
1883
Registry Type(s) 01/09/1978 National Register listed
05/14/1975 State Register listed
Site ID# P4480