Bagley Memorial Fountain, photo submitted 1971
Click above images to enlarge

Bagley Memorial Fountain
Woodward at Monroe in Campus Martius, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Bagley, John J., Memorial Fountain
Bagley Memorial Fountain-Local
Property Type fountain
Historic Use LANDSCAPE
Current Use LANDSCAPE
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder Henry Hobson Richardson
Significant Person John J. Bagley
Narrative Description The John Judson Bagley Memorial Fountain is a white Worcester granite memorial fountain measuring over eighteen feet high from base to tip. A short, square fountain features Byzantine columns at each corner and stands in the center of abroad, stepped base. The columns support a four-sided arch elaborated with carved vegetal forms in the spandrels. The structure is topped by a plain pyramidal canopy.
Statement of Significance The Bagley Memorial Fountain is the only surviving work in Michigan of famed architect Henry Hobson Richardson. It was constructed with funds provided by the estate of Michigan Governor John Judson Bagley (1873 to 1876). Bagley, also a prominent tobacco products manufacturer, willed approximately $7,000 for this structure, Detroit's first public drinking fountain. The fountain was built in 1887 and moved to its current location in 1925.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1885-1887, 1925
Registry Type(s) 11/05/1971 National Register listed
03/03/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P4479