Boston-Edison Historic District, photo taken 1973 Boston-Edison Historic District, photo taken 1973
Click above images to enlarge

Boston-Edison Historic District
45 block area bounded by Linwood, Atkinson, Woodward and Glynn Court, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Colonial Revival
Georgian
Architect/Builder Henry Ford
Significant Person Sebastian Spering Kresge
Clarence Monroe Burton
Leo Franklin
Henry Ford
Joseph Moynihan
James Couzens
Narrative Description The Boston-Edison Historic District comprises numerous large, single residence homes, the great majority built between 1900 and 1925. While eclectic in style, they possess a uniformity in roof line, in scale, in set-back from the street, and in the use of stone or brick construction as opposed to frame. These characteristics, in combination with the wide tree-lined streets create and overall ambience of gracious suburban living in a time of slower movement and community interaction.
Statement of Significance The Boston-Edison District is one of Detroit's early suburbs. The part between Woodward and Hamilton was incorporated into the city in 1891; that between Hamilton and Linwood was added in 1915. Various factors helped shape the district that grew up during those years. The construction of Henry Ford Hospital nearby in 1915 accounts for the number of physicians (23) who built homes in the western part of the district. The lack of discriminatory measures against Jewish people enabled Jewish families to build in the area. A third factor was the growth of "extended family colonies" in the area, where multiple branches of one family would build single family homes in Boston-Edison. The fourth influence was that employees tended to cluster around their employer. Such was the case with Sebastian S. Kresge who lived at 70 Boston Boulevard West. At least six of his employees built homes in the neighborhood. Sebastian Kresge, the founder of the S. S. Kresge Company, was among an impressive number of influential Detroiters who lived in the Boston-Edison neighborhood. Charles M. Burton, the donor of the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library lived at 121 Boston West. Rabbi Leo Franklin, organizer of the United Jewish Charities and rabbi at Temple Beth El lived at 26 Edison Avenue. Henry Ford lived at 140 Edison from 1908 to 1915. Michigan Supreme Court Justice Joseph Moynihan lived at 2525 Chicago. James Couzins, secretary-treasurer of the Ford Motor Company and later a U.S. senator lived at 610 Longfellow. These men are just a few of the prominent people who once lived in the Boston-Edison Historic District.
Period of Significance 1900-1925
Registry Type(s) 09/05/1975 National Register listed
12/11/1973 State Register listed
Site ID# P4477