Sturgeon Point Light Station, photo by John Gray of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Click above images to enlarge

Sturgeon Point Light Station
Point Road, Harrisville - Alcona County
Property Type lighthouse
Historic Use DEFENSE/coast guard facility
TRANSPORTATION
Current Use TRANSPORTATION
Style Other
Narrative Description The Sturgeon Point Light Station is a single-story, rectangular dwelling connected to a circular light tower over seventy feet high and sixteen feet in diameter at the base. The walls of the residence and tower are of plaster covered brick and rest on a limestone foundation. The tower housed a fourth-order, polygonal light manufactured by Henry Lapalte of France.
Statement of Significance The Sturgeon Point Light Station is a well-preserved example of a Lake Huron light station and one of the few surviving buildings which served the thriving fishing industry of the Saginaw Bay area. The U.S. Coast Guard constructed the lighthouse in 1869 at a cost of $15,000 to warn off-course ships of a nearby reef. The light continues to operate unmanned. The Light Station is proposed to be developed as a Great Lakes museum.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1869
Registry Type(s) 07/19/1984 National Register listed
02/18/1982 State Register listed
Site ID# P22423