Click above images to enlarge

Bradford, Benjamin and Mary Ann, House
48145Warren Road, Canton Township - Wayne County
Other Names Bradford-Palmer House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use AGRICULTURE/SUBSISTENCE/agricultural outbuilding
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description This house is a two story side gabled Greek Revival style house. It has a symmetrical three bay front facade. There is a wide cornice line with returns on the side gables. A brick chimney is located on the west facade. The windows are one light over one. The front entry is composed of pilasters, abbreviated sidelights with wood panels below and a simple entablature. A later concrete stoop and steps lead up to the door. Aluminum siding covers the clapboard walls. The foundation is composed of fieldstone. The roof is covered with French method shingles (diamond pattern) A one story shed roof addition is located across the rear of the house and has a concrete block foundation. There is a glassed in porch on the addition. There is also a small, one story addition to the west facade with a concrete block foundation.
Statement of Significance This property is significant because of its association with the early settlement of Canton Township. Canton pioneers Aruna and Mary Bradford, whose son Benjamin built this house, purchased the property in 1826. The Bradfords came from Monroe County, New York; their settlement reflected a typical pattern of settlement by people from New York to Southeastern Michigan. This house is also significant because of its architecture. It is a fine example of a Greek Revival doorway with entablature and sidelights. This was a very fine house and reflected growing affluence and a sense of pride as the early settlers moved from their humble beginnings to a more cultured way of life.
Period of Significance 1860-1882
Significant Date(s) 1860, 1882
Registry Type(s) 06/09/2000 National Register listed
Site ID# P39168