Schuyler Mill/Ford Soybean Plant Complex, photos 1985 Schuyler Mill/Ford Soybean Plant Complex, photos 1985
Click above images to enlarge

Schuyler Mill/Ford Soybean Plant Complex
555-600Michigan Avenue, Saline - Washtenaw County
Property Type grist mill
Historic Use AGRICULTURE/SUBSISTENCE/processing
EDUCATION/school
INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/manufacturing facility
LANDSCAPE/street furniture/object
RECREATION AND CULTURE/outdoor recreation
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/restaurant
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION
LANDSCAPE/street furniture/object
RECREATION AND CULTURE
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder David Schuyler Haywood
Henry Ford
Significant Person Henry Ford
Narrative Description The Schuyler Mill/Ford Soybean Plant Complex is situated in a park-like setting of trees and manicured lawns in Saline. Set upon this expansive lawn is a modern Greek Revival-inspired house built around an 1856 one-room, Greek Revival school building which Ford moved to the site in 1943. Near the small house is an intake for the mill race. The water wheel is gone but the intake and the fieldstone lined race remain unchanged. There are four buildings erected by Henry Ford in the district; a Greek Revival style extractor plant, a pump house, and on the school property, two storage buildings. At the Mill Pond, Ford constructed a dam and spillway and then added a swimming pool to benefit local residents. The oldest and most impressive building on the site is the mill, an imposing Greek Revival style timber -frame, clapboarded, gable-roof building with a three-story main section and a narrower, two-story wing flanked by a smaller, one-story wing at each end. The mill was built in 1845 by David Schuyler Haywood.
Statement of Significance Since 1845 the Schuyler Mill has been a landmark in the City of Saline and has been associated with Henry Ford since the early 1930s. In 1845 the mill was constructed and work generated at the mill spurred the development of the nearby town of Barnegat. By 1865 business began to decline and the mill was soon closed. In 1938 Henry Ford revitalized the failing farm by establishing one of his Village Industries Program sites at Schuyler Mill. Ford re-opened the mill and established a soybean-extractor plant. In 1943 Ford moved the Hoyt-Sumner school onto the Saline property. Following Ford's death in 1947, the property was sold by his company to private owners and the mill was subsequently changed to the Sauk Trail Inn.
Period of Significance 1845-1946
Significant Date(s) 1845, 1938, 1943, 1947
Registry Type(s) 05/08/1996 National Register listed
Site ID# P4119