Click above images to enlarge

Boldman, David and Elizabeth Bell, House
3339Canton Center Road, Canton Township - Wayne County
Property Type house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description This house is a two story, basilica form, Greek Revival house. The two story center portion is flanked by one story wings. The fronting two story center section of the house has a triangular pediment, entablature, and a square Doric column at each end. The house has a modern porch with a concrete floor, and a brick foundation and steps. The wide cornice line has returns on the gable ends. The center, front (west) facade id defined by pilasters and accented with white siding. There are two windows on the second story and two windows flanking the center door. The upper windows are six lights over six and the lower windows are nine over six. Both have fluted molding with unadorned corner blocks. The front door is wood with ten lights of beveled glass. The door is surrounded by the same trim as the windows. It has a modern louvered storm door. The remaining windows are six lights over six with plain molding. A one story ell on the north facade has a wide cornice line with returns. A modern brick chimney is located on the north facade. The Greek Revival detailing continues on the rear section containing the kitchen. The house is covered with blue asbestos siding, has a shingle roof, and a fieldstone foundation.
Statement of Significance The Boldman House is an excellent example of the Greek Revival style/Basilica Form. The Basilica Form is unique to southeast Michigan, western New York and northeast Ohio. It is one of only a few remaining Basilica Form Greek Revival houses in Canton Township. The two-story portico is rare in the north. Another example of a two story portico like this one is in Dexter along the Huron River. The property is also significant because of its association with the early settlement and subsequent development of Canton Township. Built by early settler Henry Boldman ca. 1835, and enlarged or improved by David Boldman ca. 1858, this was a very fine house and reflected growing affluence and a sense of pride as the early settlers moved from their humble beginnings to a more cultured way of life.
Period of Significance 1835-1889
Significant Date(s) 1835, 1858, 1889
Registry Type(s) 06/02/2000 National Register listed
Site ID# P39141