Click above images to enlarge

Bartlett, Thomas and Maria Blackman, House
500Ridge Road, Canton Township - Wayne County
Other Names Bartlett-Travis House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/museum
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description This is a New England Large house with extensions to the side and rear. The north section of the house is stepped down slightly in height. A two-story ell is located behind the north section. The clapboard house is topped by a wood shingle roof with two brick chimneys, and has a cement block foundation faced with fieldstone. There is a wide cornice line adorned with paired teardrop brackets (most of the brackets are original.) Most of the windows are four lights over four, but there are three six over six windows in the rear ell. The small entry porch on the west facade has pilasters on either side of the door with simple molding above. It also has chamfered columns, and is accented with scrolled brackets and millwork (the brackets and millwork are mainly original.) The simple wood door has one large pane of glass. The entry porch has a wood floor and steps. The roof of the porch is accentuated with a decorative iron railing. There is a large wrap-around porch beginning on the west (front) facade and wrapping around to the south facade (this porch was reconstructed from photographs.) It has round wood columns, wood floor, a solid wood balustrade, and two sets of wood steps (front and rear). The front steps have fieldstone supports. There is a gable with a sunburst design over the rear steps. Three wood and glass entry doors lead from the wrap-around porch into the house. There is a handicapped ramp at the rear of the house leading onto the porch. Details of the brackets and columns are accented by red-brown paint. The body of the house is painted with yellow-gold and the trim in a cream color.
Statement of Significance Significance: The house is significant because it was the home of a pioneer Canton family, the Bartletts, who settled here in 1839. It is also significant as a well preserved nineteenth-century house of New England Large heritage whose present from reflects a series of nineteenth-century enlargements of the original. The ca. 1840 section of the house was built in the settlement era as a Greek Revival Upright and Wing, a style typical of the early settlers. It has been carefully restored to 1900 time period, and demonstrates the changes that a structure undergoes over time. Small "windows" have been left in the house to show the construction methods of an earlier time.
Period of Significance 1840-1914
Significant Date(s) 1840, 1867, 1914
Registry Type(s) 06/02/2000 National Register listed
Site ID# P39129