Cass-Davenport Historic District
Bounded by Davenport, alley east of Cass, ML King Blvd., Cass and alley west of Cass, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type district
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE/specialty store
DOMESTIC/multiple dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/multiple dwelling
Style Beaux Arts
Classical Revival
Italian Renaissance
Tudor Revival
Architect/Builder Baxter and O'Dell
Pollmar and Ropes
Narrative Description The Cass-Davenport Historic District, located at the intersection of Cass Avenue and Davenport in the Cass Farm Survey Area, covers approximately 12 acres and contains four, early twentieth-century apartment buildings clustered about the intersection. The district resources range in height from three to six stories and are all constructed of brick with limestone or cast stone details. The Davenport Apartments, constructed in 1905, was designed in the Beaux Arts styles. The Classical style Chesterfield Apartments was constructed in 1911. Constructed in 1924, the Aderna Court Apartments was designed in the Tudor Revival style and the Naomi Apartments was designed in the Italian Renaissance style.
Statement of Significance The Cass-Davenport Historic District is significant as an intact group of architecturally distinguished, early twentieth century apartment buildings in the Cass Farm Survey Area. The district, now surrounded by vacant land, conveys the scale, massing, craftsmanship and materials of both the first and second phase of apartment buildings constructed in the survey area. Additionally, the buildings together reflect the change in apartment building design; from the small scale, luxurious apartment buildings of the turn of the century to the large scale, high density apartment buildings constructed between 1915 and 1930. The buildings were designed by architects and builders, some of whose work was prominent in Detroit.
Period of Significance 1905-1947
Registry Type(s) 09/22/1997 National Register listed
Site ID# P26205