William M. Davis House, photo taken 1969
Click above images to enlarge

Davis, William M., House
218 North Washington Street, SE corner of Emmet Street, Ypsilanti - Washtenaw County
Other Names Ladies' Literary Club Building
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use SOCIAL
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description The William M. Davis House (Ladies Literary Club Building) is a rectangular, one-and-one-half-story temple-front Greek Revival structure with brick walls standing on a raised stone foundation. The building is flanked by a single-story frame wing fronted by a Doric porch and a bracketed bay window. The building is fronted by a wooden tetrastyle Doric portico topped by a triangular pediment. The Ladies Literary Club features various decorative elements including strapwork tracery in the pediment and paneled Doric columns. Grilles along the frieze, underlined by a dentil molding shield windows behind the portico.
Statement of Significance The Ladies Literary Club is one of the most attractive and prominently placed examples of Greek Revival architecture in Ypsilanti. The home was probably built by Arden Ballard for William M. Davis in approximately 1843. Private residents owned the property until 1913 when it was purchased by the Ladies Literary Club. Currently in use by the club, the building remains a well-maintained and architecturally interesting structure.
Marker Name Ladies' Literary Club House
Marker Text LADIES' LITERARY CLUB HOUSE This house, built prior to 1842 by Arden Ballard, has been recognized by the Historic American Building Survey as a model of Greek Revival architecture. The house was purchased by the Ladies' Literary Club in 1913.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) c. 1842
Registry Type(s) 10/10/1965 Marker erected
03/16/1972 National Register listed
05/12/1965 State Register listed
Site ID# P24946