Clarkston Village, photo submitted in 1980. Clarkston Village, photo submitted in 1980. Clarkston Village, photo submitted in 1980.
Click above images to enlarge

Clarkston Village Historic District
Bounded on the east by Parke Lake and the stream that drains it, north of Parke Lake the east lot line of Main Street is the boundary, the northern village limit is part of the northern boundary, Mill Pond forms the western boundary, southern end of Holc, Clarkston - Oakland County
Other Names Village of Clarkston Historic District-Local
Property Type district
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE
DOMESTIC
RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
DOMESTIC
RELIGION/religious facility
Style Greek Revival
Mixed
Narrative Description The buildings of Clarkston in this residential and commercial district accurately convey a record of the growth and character of this small rural village from its founding in the 1840s until 1930. The prosperity of Clarkston in the 1840s and 1850s manifested itself in an impressive array of fine Greek Revival houses on North Main Street. Although Greek Revival or vernacular dwellings built in the 1850s and 1860s comprise the majority of the remaining residential fabric, houses continued to be built in the village, on an occasional basis, into the 1920s. Stylish Queen Anne and Italianate dwellings are evidence of this later period of construction. In the 1920s, new residential construction in the village was evenly divided in style between Colonial Revival and Bungalow designs. In addition to having a large share of its original housing stock intact, Clarkston still contains its two original churches, constructed in 1847 and 1873. A small business district extends for two blocks between Washington and Waldon Streets on both sides of Main Street. It is noteworthy for its architectural diversity and the variety of facade materials employed. The district primarily contains buildings constructed after 1900, replacing the original frame buildings of the downtown. A number of small, one- and two-story brick storefronts built in the 1920s, with large plate-glass windows and variously profiled parapet walls at the roof are present in the commercial district.
Statement of Significance The Clarkston Historic District is architecturally significant as an intact nineteenth century mill village displaying an exceptional range of architectural styles and high environmental qualities. The town of Clarkston was established about 1838 when a dam was constructed across the Clinton River and the water ways improved to provide a dependable source of power for a grist mill. The village was platted by brothers Jeremiah and Nelson Clark in 1842. Clarkston was essentially an agricultural service center. The businesses on Main Street reflected the town's role as a local market town. After growing modestly throughout the second half of the nineteenth century, the town began to slowly decline in the early 1900s. The old Clarkston Mill, once the focal point of the village, was demolished in 1917. The town's traditional role as a market town and service center for the surrounding countryside was supplemented in the early twentieth century by a minor resort boom in Independence Township based around Deer Lake. Since about 1960, Clarkston has been strongly influenced by the spread of suburban housing into Independence Township from Pontiac and Detroit. The village itself has become a choice residential area and many of the handsome old houses have been restored or renovated.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1842, 1930
Registry Type(s) 05/15/1980 National Register listed
01/16/1976 State Register listed
Site ID# P3926