St. Florian Historic District, photo(s) 1983 St. Florian Historic District, photo(s) 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Florian Historic District
Roughly bounded by Joseph Campau Avenue, Holbrook Avenue, Dequindre, Norwalk, Lumpkin, and Yemans streets, Hamtramck - Wayne County
Property Type district
Historic Use DOMESTIC/multiple dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/multiple dwelling
Style Gothic
Late Victorian
Architect/Builder Ralph Adams Cram
Narrative Description The Saint Florian Historic District occupies approximately seventy-six acres in the west-central portion of Hamtramck and contains 691 structures (all but nine of which contribute to the district's historic character) within a district area bounded on the north by Yemans Street, on the south by Holbrook Street, on the east by Joseph Campau Street, and on the west by Lumpkin and Dequindre streets. The focal point of the district is St. Florian Church, an imposing twentieth-century Gothic Revival edifice designed by architect Ralph Adams Cram and constructed from 1925 to 1928. The red-brown brick church dominates the entire neighborhood. Apart from the church-associated structures and a few commercial buildings, the St. Florian Historic District is composed of high-density, detached housing, nearly all of which was constructed between 1905 and 1920. Most of the district houses are frame structures set on tall foundations. The houses have a uniform setback from the street, and this greatly enhances the feeling of uniformity which the neighborhood possesses.
Statement of Significance Settled and largely established within a relatively brief time span in the early twentieth century, the St. Florian Historic District is significant because of its development as a virtually single-nationality, Polish, Catholic neighborhood, is a major work of early twentieth-century architect Ralph Adams Cram and an important example of American Gothic church design and craftsmanship of the 1920s.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1928
1907
1898
Registry Type(s) 09/13/1984 National Register listed
Site ID# P25314