Dr. Benajah Ticknor House, photo submitted 1972
Click above images to enlarge

Ticknor, Dr. Benajah, House
2781Packard Road, Ann Arbor - Washtenaw County
Other Names Campbell House
Cobblestone Farm Historic District-Local
Property Type cobblestone house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description The Dr. Benajah Ticknor House is a rectangular, side-gable, Greek Revival cobblestone farmhouse with a one-and-one-half story frame rear ell. The facade is covered with regularly coursed cobblestones in a herringbone pattern and its corners feature stone quoins. Two Doric pilasters in antis frame the entrance and support a classical entablature. The gable ends feature triangular windows. Original white wood flooring and wainscoting is intact and in good condition.
Statement of Significance The Dr. Benajah Ticknor House is one of the finest of Michigan's rare cobblestone houses. Dr. Ticknor, a U.S. Navy surgeon, built this house in approximately 1840 and later added the rear extension. Ticknor employed the cobblestone method popular in his native New York state and used entirely handworked nails, timbers, and lath to construct his home. Few alterations have been made to the Ticknor House's exterior and the interior remains primarily original. The Ticknor House is currently a museum operated by the Cobblestone Farm Association.
Marker Name Ticknor-Campbell House
Marker Text TICKNOR-CAMPBELL HOUSE In 1844, Benajah Ticknor, a U.S. naval surgeon from Connecticut, built this Classical Revival house on his 183-acre farm in Pittsfield Township. He used cobblestone construction, which originated in upstate New York. The rear wing includes a small frame house, first occupied in 1835 by his brother Heman Ticknor, farm manager and township leader. At Dr. Ticknor's death in 1858, his extensive medical and classical library was given to the University of Michigan. The home was listed in the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1936. SIDE TWO In 1881, Scottish immigrant William Campbell, an educator from Ypsilanti, purchased this house on a 223-acre farm. He and his son Clair raised grain, hogs and purebred prize cattle. Farming continued on this site until 1955. For ninety-one years three generations of the Campbell family retained the house essentially unchanged. In 1972 the city of Ann Arbor purchased it for use as a pioneer farm museum, and it was placed on the national and Michigan historic registers.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1835, 1844
Registry Type(s) 1981 Marker erected
11/21/1972 National Register listed
05/17/1973 State Register listed
Site ID# P3774