Click above images to enlarge

Patterson, John and Eliza Barr, House
6205Ridge Road. The boundaries surrounding the structures comprise approxiamately one acre (43,556.9 square feet) on the north end of the above 48.79 parcel. The final boundaries will include between one and two acres surrounding the building structures., Canton Township - Wayne County
Other Names Gilmore Property Historic District - Local
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder John Patterson
Narrative Description The John and Eliza Barr Patterson House is a one-and-one-half story frame Greek Revivial house with wide frieze and box cornice with returns. This five-bay New England one-and-one-half cottage faces east on a gravel road. the symmetrical front facade fenestration includes a center doorway with four-light transom flanked by two twelve over twelve windows on each side. The north facade has three over three fenestration. The south facade has a center entry with entablature. The west facade has a plain door and asymmetrical fenestration. It has clapboard siding, a center chimney, shingle roof, and stone foundation. According to Diane Wilson's book, Cornerstones, the Gilmore's replaced the home's roof, replaced clapboard siding and some of the windows, and removed a deteriorating portico. The interior of the house has had little remodeling. There are four bedrooms and a c.1940 bathroom upstairs. The bedroom in the southwest corner retains original stenciling in a leaf pattern with border around the top. The ground floor has a living and dining room in the front half of the house, and a bedroom and kitchen in the rear. Wooden cupboard in the kitchen appear old, but are difficult to date, although the family thinks they are original to the house. A small first floor bedroom in the southwest corner is called the "birth room" by family members because a relative, Barbara Banks, was born there. Original hardware adorns the interior doors. The basement has hand-hewn beams. A one-story frame summer house with fireplace (former chicken coop, date unknown), and shed roof frame storage shed are located at the rear of the house. A small two-story frame twentieth century barn with hip roof is also located in the rear of the house. A gambrel-roof barn, once located to the south of the house, collapsed around 1978 or 1980. part of the foundation is intact. The nominated property is located on the north end of a 48.79 acre parcel and consists of 43,556 square feet of land (almost one acre) which encompasses the house, outbuildings, and archaeological site. the drive is bordered on the south by fivelarge (the sixth was cut, leavinga stump) yellowwood trees (cladrastis lutea), used by American Settlers to make yellow dye for textiles. On the north side of the drivewy entrance is a Scotch pine (pinus sylvestris). Large maples and a silver linden (Tilia tormentosa) provide summer shade in the front yrad. To the west of the house and outbuildings is a line of mature blue spruce (Picea pungens) that separates the mowed yard from a meadow. A lard e old apple tree grows a few feet behind the house. Several Norway spruce (picea abies) dot the property. The wooded land north of the house slopes north toward Fellows Creek. A stone ans cement barn foundation is locted south of the present barn and is surrounded by an overgrowth of trees, wild raspberries, poison ivy, and weeds. The yard retains its old liliacs, peonies, and lily of the valley. the family relates that a rose bush, planted by Grandma Sadie Shuart nearly 100 years ago, still thrives in the front yard. The land was tilled behind and south of the farmstead until recently when the 48.79 parcel on which this farm is located was purchased by Canton Township. Hanford School (built 1855) is located north on Ridge Road. The site retains its nineteenth century feeling, but there is new residential development nearby.
Statement of Significance This excellent example of vernacular Greek Revival architecture was built c.1844 and helps illustrate the building types brought from the Eastern states during Canton's period of settlement. It has been well maintained over the years. The Patterson family initially engaged in subsistence agriculture, then continued to contribute to the growth and economy of the township using more modern methods and equipment. The farm was owned by the family until 1999.
Period of Significance 1844-1856
Significant Date(s) 1844, 1856
Registry Type(s) 06/09/2000 National Register listed
Site ID# P38771