Beverly Road Historic District, photo submitted 1995 Beverly Road Historic District, photo submitted 1995 Beverly Road Historic District, photo submitted 1995
Click above images to enlarge

Beverly Road Historic District
23-45Beverly Road; The boundaries of this historic district mirror the original plat of the Joy Realty Company's Beverly Park Subdivision., Grosse Pointe Farms - Wayne County
Other Names Beverly Road
Property Type residential
Historic Use DOMESTIC/secondary structure
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
LANDSCAPE/street furniture/object
Current Use DOMESTIC/secondary structure
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
LANDSCAPE/street furniture/object
Style Colonial Revival
Renaissance
Tudor Revival
Architect/Builder Albert Kahn
Marcus R. Burrowes
Robert O. Derrick
Significant Person William C. Crowley
William P. Hamilton
Narrative Description The Beverly Road Historic District is comprised of fifteen primary, moderate to large scale single-family period revival style residential buildings situated along a straight line paved roadway between Lake Shore Road and Grosse Pointe Boulevard. Crested iron gates and fencing between limestone piers along Lake Shore Road mark the entrance to the private road. The piers flanking the gates bear small bronze plaques with the name "Beverly Road". The west side of Beverly backs up to a masonry wall separating it from Fisher Road, an important access road inland. The east side abuts the rear yards of similar type homes on McKinley Road. To the north, across Grosse Pointe Boulevard, is Grosse Pointe Memorial Church (NR). Most houses in the district are large in scale and have complementary garages. The character of the streetscape is that of a streetcar suburb; houses tend to out-scale the size of the lots and rear yards are generally small. The contributing buildings display a variety of colors, materials and stylistic decoration, and a high quality of workmanship and design. The district is well-maintained and possesses much of its original character.
Statement of Significance Beverly Road, subdivided by Henry B. Joy circa 1910, is significant as one of the earliest well-to-do subdivisions in Grosse Pointe. It is indicative of the transformation of Grosse Pointe from a summer recreational colony and farming community to a year-round suburban community. Patterns of home ownership and residency on Beverly Road reflect a social history typical in Grosse Pointe during and immediately following that change - that of close ancestral ties and the mobility of the wealthy. The buildings on Beverly housed socially prominent company executives, such as William P. Hamilton, William Cornelius Crowley and Edwin R. Stroh; lawyers such as Sidney T. Miller and William Van Dyke, and investors such as Edwin B. Henry. Beverly Road features substantial residential structures designed by some of the finest architects of the early twentieth century in the Detroit area, including Robert O. Derrick, Raymond Carey, and Marcus Burrowes, in period revival styles. The entrance gates on Lake Shore Road were designed by Albert Kahn. Beverly Road remains one of a few private roads in Grosse Pointe Farms, owned and maintained by its residents.
Period of Significance 1910-1945
Significant Date(s) 1919, 1911-12
Registry Type(s) 04/07/1995 National Register listed
Site ID# P3524