Edwin S. George Building (Garfield Building) photo 1993
Click above images to enlarge

George, Edwin S., Building
4612 Woodward Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Garfield Building
Property Type Industrial Buildings
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Other
Architect/Builder Albert Kahn
Significant Person Edwin S. George
Narrative Description The Garfield Building is a five-story, nearly square, reinforced-concrete frame building with a flat roof. The entrance facade and one side are clad in white, glazed terra cotta. The concrete structure and brick knee walls are exposed on the other two sides giving the building the appearance of an industrial structure. Windows fill the openings between the beams and columns of the concrete structure. The first two floors were constructed in 1908, the upper three floors in 1914. The Garfield is a decorated version of the plain industrial structures that were the forte of Albert Kahn, its architect.
Statement of Significance The George or Garfield Building's history relates to the early twentieth-century industrial/commercial development of the part of Woodward Avenue between Grand Circus Park and the Cultural Center, of which this building was an early and large-scale embodiment; to Edwin S. George, who was a prime mover in the development of this then residential/institutional area of Woodward and of whose investment properties this building appears to be the most important survivor; to the development of Detroit as an auto manufacturing center, in that the building housed in its early days various auto-parts manufacturers and suppliers and was an early part of the auto-related development of Woodward Avenue; and to reinforced-concrete construction of architectural pioneer Albert Kahn, whose firm designed both the original and added sections.
Period of Significance 1908-1929
Significant Date(s) 1908, 1914
Registry Type(s) 07/22/1993 National Register listed
Site ID# P25480